Buckland St Johns Baptist
Built in 1846 from local sandstone and designed by architect Crawford Cripps Wegman its main claim to fame is it East Window depicting the life of John the Baptist.
The wall around the church was built by Fitzherbert Adams Marriott.
There are many stories about the origin
of this beautiful window but the most logical is that it was meant for Buckland
It is widely accepted that the Reverend
F.H.Cox, who was Rector of the church from 1846 until 1848 brought it to
Whatever the story is behind the window
it is still remarkable to see a fourteenth century church window in a church
that wasn’t built until 1846.
Charles Kent who managed the mill at Buckland and whose ashes were placed here was a resident of Buckland for over 40 years
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2011 Graves of Tasmania