St Peters Hamilton
The church was designed by Edward Winch of the Colonial Architect and Engineer’s Office but the plans were later modified by John Lee Archer.
Built of freestone with a tower which has an opening for a clock, which for some reason has never been installed and with only one door under the tower perhaps to keep an eye on the convicts and make sure they didn’t leave the building.
Cost for the building was 700 pounds half of which was met by the Government of the day partly through the ‘dog tax” which had enabled other churches in the state to be built.
The building was started by J. J. Turnbull who suffered financial losses and was taken over by W. Sibley.
Foundation stone was laid by Lieutenant Governor Arthur in 1834 and consecrated on the 8th May 1838 by Bishop Broughton who visited Tasmania in 1838 and consecrated seven churches. The organ was purchased in 1885 for 80 pounds.
Stained glass windows were put in from 1934 onwards and two of them are in memory of the Reverend Walter Henslowe and his wife.
Headstones in this cemetery were photographed 28th March 2008
Thankyou to David Windridge for identifying an unknown grave.
There are 22 Unknown Graves
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2011 Graves of Tasmania