Ouse Anglican St John Of Baptist
Built in 1842 on land donated by Walter Angus Bethune (1794-1885) who was the son of a presbyterian minister but who converted to the Anglican Church, the building is of stone and rubble and has a small bell turret and was consecrated 9th May, 1867. Cost of the building was met by local contributions and voluntary labour.
The stained glass windows in the church are dedicated to early pioneers and another was installed in 1943 to celebrate the centenary of completion date.
The bell is said to have come from Port Arthur.
In 1982 extensive renovations were carried out with the north west wall being entirely replaced from locally quarried sandstone.
Headstones in this cemetery were photographed 7th September 2007
Thank you to Kathryn Archibald for taking new photos and identifying some of the unknown headstones to add to the data base
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2011 Graves of Tasmania