Gravesites Of Tasmania

Tasmanian War Casualties  Campbell Street GaolInteresting Areas  Church History  Maps & Burials  Our Family  Visitor Contributions  Contacts   sponsors 

 
 

 

If you could spare a few dollars to help with the running costs of this website would be very much appreciated.

Thank you from Gravesites of Tasmania.

Glenorchy St Matthews Presbyterian

Designed by James Blackburn, who had been convicted for forgery and transported in 1833 and built by the Hobart firm of Kirk & Fisher on land that was donated by George Hull at a cost of one thousand five hundred pounds the foundation stone was laid by Sir John Franklin on the 20th December 1839 and the building was ready for worship by 1841.  

The first minister for St. Matthew’s was the Rev. Charles Simson who arrived in 1841 and remained as minister until 1870

Between the years 1842 until 1872 there were approximately 160 burials in this churchyard and after that most people were buried at Cornelian Bay

It is interesting to note that the cemetery attached to the church was at the front of the building and this land was later acquired by the Glenorchy City Council for road widening.  In return the Church was given a small block of land at the rear of the Church (now used for car parking) with a house that had been occupied by the Barrow family.  

It was at this time the headstones were removed and placed around the Church.

     St Matthews as it is today                                                                                                    St Matthews early 1900

Members of our families associated with this Church are Tilyard, Holly, O’Brien Hull, Barton and Butterworth                                                                                                                                                                                                    

A H L N T
Arson James Farque Harley Jane Lane Margaret Norris Emmnmeliza Tilyard Sarah
  Harley Martha Euphemia Lane Thomas Norris Jacob Tilyard Thomas
B Hickman Nancy Jean Lester John Providence   Tilyard William
Barton Mary Holly Eliza   O  
Barton William Holly Eliza 2 M O'Brian M Susannah W
Branscommee Hannah Holly Elizabeth Macnamara James Thomas O'Brien James Wilson Mary Anne
Branscommee Thomas Holly George William Macnamara Thomas   Woodleigh Margaret Agnes
Brett Henry Richard Holly Lot

Mann Robert

S  
Brett Marion Holly Susannah Mathews John Simson Elizabeth Sommerville  
Butterworth Ruby Beatrice Holly Thomas Henry      
  Holly William      
G Holly William Henry      
Grant Mary Ann Hurse Rev John Henry Stewart      
Grant Robert        

 

 

 

 

 

Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.

Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.

Copyright © 2011 Graves of TasmaniaGravesites Of Tasmania