Richmond St Lukes Anglican
When the township of Richmond was first laid out in 1823, land was granted to the Church of England on the rise of ground across the river. Part of this land was set out as a burying ground and this is still in use. However, when Archdeacon Broughton saw the site in 1833 he objected to the church being built “on such an eminence, on account of the aged and infirm”
An offer was made to the Government by Mr. H. Butcher of “Lowlands” to exchange 8 acres of his property adjoining the township, valued at 20 pound per acre, for a further grant of 640 acres of bushland valued at 5 shillings per acre. This offer to provide land was accepted, and arrangements proceeded for the erection of a building on this site.
The foundation stone was laid on the 1st. February 1834 by Governor Arthur and work proceeded under the supervision of the Government Engineer, Mr. Lee Archer to whom it is evident that the design of the church must be attributed. The stone was quarried on Mr. Butcher’s property.
It is noteworthy that the whole building was completed, ready for use, in 22 months from its commencement and at a cost of under 1,000 pounds.
St. Luke’s was consecrated by 19th May 1838 by Bishop Broughton.
The clock in the church is one that was installed in the tower of St. David’s Church and when this church was demolished to make way for the Cathedral the clock was stored away and finally given to St. Luke’s in 1922.
The above information is extracted from a pamphlet obtained from St. Luke’s
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2011 Graves of Tasmania