St Pauls Uniting and Methodist New Norfolk
Built on land donated by Sir Robert Officer, the then owner of “Hallgreen” the foundation stone was laid November 1835 and was built by James Turnbull.
In the following year, the Rev. John Manton was appointed the first resident Minister of the newly formed New Norfolk Circuit.
The Church was officially opened and dedicated by the Reverend Joseph Orton on the 2nd. November 1837.
To celebrate the Wesleyan Silver Jubilee in 1865 the church gallery was added and in 1866 the porch was added.
At the centenary of the church in 1936 a new hall was opened and dedicated which replaced the hall built in 1852.
In more recent years the beauty of the Church has been enhanced with the addition of eight cathedral glass windows, some of which were installed in memory of early pioneers.
In 1961, when the 125th anniversary of the church was celebrated, the Church and hall were redecorated and another new hall was commenced. This magnificent building, with its many amenities and its unusual garden setting, was erected at a cost of 13,000 pounds on land donated by Dr. C. Hartley Rowe and officially opened by him on 11th March 1962.
The above information was extracted from a Souvenir pamphlet distributed at a cost of one shilling.
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearanceand the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2023 Graves of Tasmania